Tuesday 6 August 2024

Identity Politics - what is a woman?

Where do you draw the line on what is a woman?....

It's funny how no-one in the opression olymipics seems to care about where the line is drawn for "man-hood"

How many men do you suppose need to take genetic tests or produce birth certificates to prove their eligibility to compete.

I'm talking (of course) about the women's boxing at the Paris Olympics. Specifically about Imane Khelif.

People the world over cried out about the injustice of a "man" fighting women, no-one had conclusive evidence of her biological sex (yes, I said "her" and I'll explain why shortly), everyone took a look at her and simply assumed that she was male "pretending" to be a female, a "trans-woman" if you will .

Personally, I looked at her and I figured there was something going on, but I wasn't necessarily certain that the above was the case.

As someone who has been there, I look for the features most people don't typically look for or miss. The brow bone being the biggest thing for me most of the time (distinctive for men and women and very hard to change), but the thing is, Imane has a pretty normal brow bone and hair line for a female in my opinion and there aren't many biological males who do. On the other hand, her nose mouth and jaw are very masculine. 

So in my opinion, something about her was different but I wasn't really convinced she was "trans"

So as it turns out, if you can believe what you read on the internet: 

 https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13702699/I-grew-Imane-Khelifs-village-family-stunned-gender-row-right-fight-woman-Algerian-boxers-TV-anchor-pal-launches-passionate-defence-heroic-star-46-second-bout-Angela-Carini.html?utm_source=social-facebook-sport&utm_medium=ito&utm_campaign=imagelink-olympics&ito=social-facebook-sport&fbclid=IwY2xjawEdJXxleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHckkDyfLfL6yeX05BYTohBu1NBNB7nAhYxkOSK6xgxn86mRON5ob1v-vZw_aem_65gZNRU7CogH9Fu2N_lH3g


Imane, was born with a genetic abnormality. I suspect she was born with female genitalia and no-one probably thought anything of it, her birth certificate was marked F and her parents got on with raising their daughter.

Until recently, she may never have even questioned that she was a "girl", although I can't see how she or her parents would not have been at least a little concerned when menstruation did not start and at least go see a doctor to investigate.

In the article above, there are (apparent) childhood photos of her (again, if you can believe what you read on the internet, however, in this case I kinda do, that family photo is pretty hard to fake).

Now on the other hand, the expressions, the body movements, all come across as very masculine to me, like someone who's never really been conscious of their "difference".

So why "her" well I try to look at the world as practically as possible, (because it suits my personal position in this world and we all have to get to sleep at night right?...) She was raised as a girl, and presumably has had most if not all of the expectations placed on women in her culture, placed on her. From what I've read it seems she functions as a woman on a daily basis, and if the Dr's didn't find a good enough willy to declare her a boy at birth (in a culture that isn't exactly known for being "kind" to women) then I have to assume she doesn't have one.

In my world, you live like other women (as completely as you physically can, no "excuses" about why you have to keep your "peen" or excuses about anything else for that matter) then you are a "woman". Woman-hood is about lived experience. So, I respect that she is a woman, hence "she".


NOW! before you go get all up in my grille.....


Do I think she should be/have been allowed to compete against other women?


Well it's like this......


The world is a very unfair place. Life can be extremely cruel (I like to think I know a thing or two about how cruel life can be, but) I can't imagine what it would be like and how selfless someone would have to be to let go of something they've trained their whole life to do. Especially when they don't see anything different about themselves to anyone else and or who they've always believed themselves to be, BUT, I think unfortunately, that would have been the right thing for Imane to do. (probably would need to be a woman to do that, a man would feel entitled to compete, if you know what I mean) 

The reality is, it has become evident that she is NOT like all other women and that "difference" sees her to having an advantage over most if not all women. 

Personally, I believe if you can't win fairly, then where is the satisfaction in winning at all? (that's just me)

Anyway, what I find more interesting is the publics varied and varying positions on the matter.

So may comments from people defending Imane when they find out she was born and raised as a girl, and on the other hand so many others declaring her a man based 100% on apparent chromosome testing (which I still haven't been able to find anywhere).

I wonder how these people would feel if they'd lived their entire lives believing they were a (mostly) normal female, only to have the entire world tell them in a single day that their entire life was a lie and that they are a MAN! (shock  horror!, oh the shame!)

Imagine, you've NEVER questioned yourself not even for a second and neither has anyone else in your life and then overnight the world turns on you.

It's so easy for people to judge, so easy to drag that old pitchfork out and light up that torch

I also watched a program the other day where the host said in-spite of the fact that Imane is apparently NOT transgender, it was still "trans" people's fault that "he" was allowed to compete and beat up women.

So here I sit in my living room thousands of miles away with my husband napping peacefully on the couch across from me, and it's MY fault....

Just like everything else these days I guess.....


Cest la vie!



No comments:

Post a Comment